We are still here after 46 years! 23 years under the direction of Dr. Neel Glass and 23 years under my direction.
96% of businesses fail in the first ten years! EasyCare has been making hoof boots and hoof protection for 46 years! It’s been a great year but has come with some learning experiences. The death of Kevin Myers has helped the entire EasyCare staff put things into perspective and look at things a bit differently. EasyCare continues to make an impact in the equine industry, help horses and have some fun in the process. It’s been a great year!
Here is a quick summary of how 2016 looked: We lost Kevin Myers; farriers now stop at our booth while at the Hoof Care Summit; our hoof protection products dominate at the toughest 100 mile race in the world; we successfully launched many new unique products and we have some great products in the works for 2017. EasyCare and our urethane hoof protection products were once on the fringe of the equine industry. Our products are now carried by most equine retailers, mail order companies, farriers and veterinarians. In short the Easyboot and EasyShoe products continue to develop and improve the lives of our equine partners.
1. In February EasyCare returned to the International Hoof Care Summit in Cincinnati Ohio. EasyCare and Polyflex share a booth at the Summit and display alternative urethane hoof care solutions. The booth is often packed with farriers looking at our non traditional hoof protection solutions. Non traditional seems to be turning traditional.
Curtis Burns and Garrett Ford demonstrate application methods.
2. California Chrome relaxes in Easyboot Clouds. The Easyboot Cloud created a big challenge for EasyCare as it’s sales were much better than anticipated. The Cloud caused us a couple grey hairs and put us in catch up mode after release. It’s taken some work and forecasting but our inventory levels are much stronger for 2017.
California Chrome chilling in Easyboot Clouds.
3. The Easyboot Mini makes an impact on the smaller breeds and foals. The mini boot has made a massive impact with the small breeds and horses. These smaller feet are often very hard to protect and the Easyboot Mini has provided an economical solution.
Easyboot Mini’s and Easyboot Epics in competition.
4. Easyboot Elite storms the 2016 Tevis Cup. Nine total team members booted 50 of the horses starting the most difficult 100 mile race in the world. No reported boots were lost during the race and completion statistics were impressive. 30.3% of all starting horses were in Easyboots. 41.3% of all finishing horses were in Easyboots. This is the most difficult 100 miles in equine sport, not only do Easyboots work, they dominate.
-1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, 4th place and 6th place finishers at the 2016 100 mile Tevis Cup were in Easyboots on all four feet.
-Ten of the top 20 finishers were in Easyboots.
-Non-Easybooted completion rate: 44.35% (115 Non-Easybooted riders started, 51 Non-Easybooted finished).
2016 Easyboot Elite from left to right.
Pete Van Rossum, Daisy Bicking, Christoph Schork, Garrett Ford, Deanna Stoppler, Steve Foxworth, Derick Vaughn, Jeremy Ortega and Josh Bowles.
5. Karen Donley and Royal Patron win the 2016 Tevis Cup. Easyboots have now won the Tevis Cup in years 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016.
7. Lisa Ford wins the 2016 Haggin Cup. Easyboots have now won the Haggin Cup in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
New models are hard to detect!
Easyboot Glue-On shells in a fawn color. Hard to tell they are even there.
Easyboot Gloves trotting fast!
9. The Easyboot Flip Flop also makes a huge impact. Easy to apply, stays in place very well and allows the back half of the hoof protection and complete hoof mechanism. Most said it would not work but it’s winning endurance races and helping save foundered horses.
Easyboot Flip Flop application.
10. EasyCare said goodbye to one of our own. “I’ve had some difficult moments in my life but Kevin’s passing has ripped my heart out. Kevin had amazing friends and was loved by everyone he touched. It’s ironic that Kevin took his life because he didn’t want to go forward lonely. Those close to Kevin have been through a bunch of emotions since Wednesday June 29th, 2016. Disbelief, sorrow, guilt, hours of tears, anger and numbness. I’ve personally had a very difficult time trying to accept his passing and know we will never be able to replace him.” Rest in peace my friend. I plan to go forward in 2017 with more smiles, laughs, will practice more patience, will listen more, will give better hugs/hand shakes and be more generous.
Rest in peace Kevin Myers!
To 2017 we go. Expect a new EasyShoe model, the Easyboot Slipper, the Easyboot Sneaker, a boot shell that accepts two or three gaiter solutions and the Old Mac’s G2 will come back. EasyCare and the Easyboot/EasyShoe lines will continue to help many different breeds in numerous disciplines. Thanks for your business and continued support.
President & CEO
I have been President and CEO of EasyCare since 1993. My first area of focus for the company is in product development, and my goal is to design the perfect hoof boot for the barefoot horse.