If you want to see the time and resources invested in gluing Easyboot Glue-Ons litter the trail behind you, there are a few key modifications to our recommended protocol you'll need to undertake. These modifications won't add time to your gluing process, but they will dramatically increase your chances of finishing your backcountry trip or endurance ride with fewer boots than you started with.
Vet Dealer and Hoof Care Practitioner Accounts Representative,
Debbie Schwiebert, rides the trail at Red Mountain, Colorado.
Here are the top six ways to increase your chances of losing Glue-Ons:
- Don't rough up the hoof wall with the edge of a new rasp. Roughing the hoof wall is a crucial step you should not miss.
- Don't use our recommended glues. We suggest the use of Sikaflex 227 and Vettec Adhere glues because testing has proven this combination to be the most reliable and the least likely to fail. If you try any other combination, the adhesive properties of the glues may not be as strong.
- Don't use as much glue as we suggest. Less glue = less adhesion. And with less adhesion, well, you know the rest.
- Glue in wet conditions and don't dry the hoof with a heat gun before applying the boots.
- Re-use your boot shells, or handle the inside of the boots before gluing.
- Leave the boots on for longer than ten days. The Adhere seal will break over time and allow more water to penetrate the boot shell. If you notice the seal around the top of the boot shell begin to break away, or if you see gapping at the back of the boot where you would normally expect to see Sikaflex, the process of separation of boot from hoof has already begun.
The Easyboot Glue-On is now available in blue and red, as well as black.
In all seriousness, the EasyCare staff are here to help guide you through every step of the gluing process. We've glued literally thousands of boots onto thousands of hooves: we know the protocol that will reduce your chances of losing boots to practically zero.
Hoof preparation & boot application.
We've just updated our gluing protocol video and our written Glue-On application instructions and PDF Glue-On brochure so they are in step with current best practices. If you're not following the protocols in these tools, you're not doing justice to the information available to you.
Director of Marketing
I am responsible for the marketing and branding of the EasyCare product line. I believe there is a great deal to be gained from the strategy of using booted protection for horses, no matter what the job you have for your equine partner.