The wait is over – the new EasyShoe Versa Grip Octo is available NOW!
The Versa Grip Octo is the newest addition to the Versa Grip lineup. The Octo comes with integrated finger tabs for easy gluing. No welding required! Simply stand the horse in the shoe and apply the finger tabs to the hoof wall using EasyShoe Quick Set Super Glue. Super Glue holds strong for a full trim cycle and excels in all environments.
The Versa Grip Octo is made of flexible urethane that allows the hoof to flex naturally with each footfall. The Octo excels in all disciplines including dressage, show jumping, endurance, trail riding, barrel racing, western pleasure, and more. The Octo has also been successful for hoof rehabilitation and therapy.
Not sure what size your horse needs? Take a look at our Measuring Guide and Fitting Assistant.
To apply the Versa Grip Octo, you will need Super Glue and plastic wrap. We also recommend tools to prepare the hoof for gluing, including but not limited to: wire hoof brush, butane torch, Hoof Buffy, and/or rasp.
How to Apply the Versa Grip Octo
1. Clean and prep the hoof well. After trimming, rough the outer wall with a Buffy or rasp. We believe a Hoof Buffy with 60 grit paper is the best tool for the job. Use a torch to dry the hoof and then wire brush it clean. We recommend torching and wire brushing three times.
2. Fit the Versa Grip Octo to the hoof. You will want a tight fit so the shoe stays in place if the horse moves during the application process.
3. While the horse is standing, cover the inside of each tab with a thin layer of EasyShoe Super Glue. Make sure all portions of the rubber are covered and wet with Super Glue. No need to go too thick, but cover all portions of rubber to the point that they look wet.
4. With the hoof on the ground or picked up, use Plastic Wrap to pull all tabs flat and tight against the hoof wall. When the hoof is covered in Plastic Wrap, place it back on the ground.
5. Let the horse stand for 10 minutes while feet are covered in Plastic Wrap.
6. Carefully remove Plastic Wrap.
7. Trace the edges of each tab with Super Glue to help seal all the edges.
Here is an application video that demonstrates how to apply the Octo.
Please keep in mind that Super Glue takes 3 hours to reach full strength. The Super Glue will dry in about 10 minutes, but will not be at its full strength right away.
Want to learn more about Super Glue? Discover the benefits of Super Glue in our recent blog.
Removal of the tabs is easy. If your horse will stand for it, a vibration cutter works very well. For the more sensitive horses, a hoof knife is also a great solution. Here is a video that demonstrates how to remove the finger tabs from the hoof wall.
Not sure which EasyShoe to pick? Now you can compare and contrast all Versa Grip horseshoes and accessories! Take a look at our new Versa Grip Guide to see what shoe is best for your horse. As always, we are happy to answer your questions or recommend a size for your horse.